Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Reflection #1: Creative Teaching Strategies in the Special Needs Classrooms | Diigo

What: Check out this resource for some simple games: Creative Teaching Strategies in the Special Needs Classrooms Diigo

So What: The Special School District of Saint Louis County has taken the iPod and made changed it from a distraction in the classroom to a major resource.  Parents were sent home training information explaining how iPods can be used for building vocabulary skills and reading comprehension.  In addition, teachers added video and audio lessons onto the students iPods for the students and parents were able to access at home.  The teachers also interpreted stories using the iPod as a video portfolio. They were able to shoot video of themselves and the students performing a specific skill and then send it home to the parents.  The iPods  also serve as a replacement for written communication logs between staff and parents. By recording a simple voice memo, teachers can quickly record messages about each student. These messages can then be downloaded from iPod and saved for future references.


Now What: Ok, I am so out of touch with this.  I must figure this out!!  I don't even know how to use my daughter's iPod for music, let alone all this other stuff!!  I feel old!!

2 comments:

  1. Originally posted in September, just added reflection # to the post

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is a great resource that could also be used in a regular classroom to help the students with special needs be able to succeed. Thanks so much for sharing this and I love all of the insights that you are able to share with us.

    ReplyDelete